Welcome to the Foothill College Financial Aid
In the News...
Financial Aid News & Events
|Select Event Banner|
|September 25, 2012|
|How to Use IRS Data Retrieval Tool|
PLEASE NOTE: Married couples who file separate tax returns and applicants who are neither eligible nor required to file a 2011 Federal Tax Return are not eligible to use this tool yet.
1. Enter PIN on the Student or Parent (whichever one is applicable) Financial Information section of the FAFSA and click Link To IRS.
2. Your FAFSA will be saved and you will be transferred to the IRS Web site.
3. On the IRS Web site, enter the requested information.
4. Once the IRS has validated your identification, your/your parents’ IRS tax information will display. You will then have the option to “Transfer” the tax information directly to the FAFSA application.
5. If you auto-fill your IRS tax information, questions that are populated with tax information will then be marked with “Transferred from the IRS.”
If you chose not to use the FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you will be more likely to be subject to being flagged for verification and, if you are selected, you will be required to support your reported FAFSA data with an official tax transcript obtained directly from the IRS. You may request a Federal Tax Return Transcript from IRS online at www.irs.gov or call 1-800-908-9946.
If you are still mailing in your federal tax returns, now would be the time to switch to electronic submission. With a couple of clicks and verification of identity, your tax information will automatically be transferred to your FAFSA. You’re required to file your tax returns electronically at least 2 weeks prior to using the IRS Data Retrieval process or 6-8 weeks if they were not submitted electronically.