The Foothill College Veterinary Technology Program is a two-year AS Degree Program
that is Fully Accredited by the
Additional Contact Information
If you have questions regarding course requirements, you may contact:
Vet Tech Program Information Night
THINKING ABOUT A CAREER IN THE VETERINARY FIELD?
Check Out Your Career Options at the Veterinary Programs Information Night March 25th!
• When: Wednesday, March 25, 2015
• Time: 5:00 - 6:30 pm
• Where: Room 8507 Foothill College
Train for Rewarding Careers in the Veterinary Field
For more information, download our flyer.
No reservations needed; just be sure to bring $3.00 for a parking permit (Parking Lot 6), if you are not currently
taking classes at Foothill this quarter.
Thanks for stopping by the Foothill College Veterinary Technology Program Web Site! We are
located in the high tech Silicon Valley region of
the San Francisco Bay Area.
If you love working with animals and helping people and want to learn more about Veterinary Technology,
spend some time browsing through our site. We've tried to make it both informative and entertaining.
- The Veterinary Technology Program (VT) is one of seven allied health career programs at Foothill College, and as such is in the Division of Biological and Health Sciences. The program is unique in that it is one of only seven such programs in the State of California, and the only accredited A.V.M.A. program serving the greater San Francisco Bay Area.
- The Foothill College Veterinary Technology Program is a two-year Associates Degree program which is fully accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association Committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activities (A.V.M.A--C.V.T.E.A.). The program is an animal facility licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture-Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (U.S.D.A.--A.P.H.I.S.).
Graduates of the program are eligible for State licensing as a Registered Veterinary Technician (R.V.T.), formerly known in California as an Animal Health Technician (A.H.T.).
top of page
Vocational education is the basic mission.
top of page
VT Program Licensing Exam Statistics
Foothill College Exam Statistics can be found at
- 1) Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) Test Results
Note: The VTNE is not required for licensing in the State of California.
Students elect to take the exam to become licensed in many other states.
Number of first time candidates who have taken the VTNE
Number of eligible first-time candidates
Three-year pass rate on the VTNE
- CA Registered Veterinary Technician Exam Results
Note: The CA RVT Exam is Required for licensing in CA.
top of page
Primary objectives of the program include:
top of page
- Provide approved coursework leading to a meaningful Associate in Science Degree.
- Graduates will meet the minimum eligibility requirements for the California Veterinary Technician Licensing Examination and will be equipped to earn a passing score and become Registered Veterinary Technicians.
- Maintain high standards for knowledge and performance, provide rigorous academic and practical training in veterinary technology, and produce graduate technicians with superior qualifications.
- Instill in the students a strong sense of professionalism and demonstrate the value of personal accountability and integrity and a solid work ethic.
- Provide the necessary knowledge, skill and ability.to enable immediate employability of graduates at an entry level in clinical practice, the biomedical industry, and other areas where veterinary technicians are in demand. Specifically, to meet the locally high demand for well-trained, highly skilled registered veterinary technicians.
Secondary objectives of the program include:
top of page
- Offer high quality course work readily transferable to a four-year institution for those students desiring upper division study, an advanced degree, or specialization within the field.
- Provide the student with the tools of learning and a solid, fundamental education that prepares them to be productive employees at an entry level, capable of adapting to a diverse job market as they enter practice, and equipped to take maximum advantage of post-graduate learning opportunities.
- Encourage within the AS Degree program, the opportunity to acquire educational skills and practice arts enabling personal growth and empowerment such that the graduates may make significant contributions to their communities and develop an attitude of life-long learning.
- Promote the profession of Veterinary Technology to the veterinary profession; fostering self-esteem in the graduate, providing leadership and innovation in education, and participation in policy-making at the local, state and national levels.
- Provide continuing education to the practicing Registered Veterinary Technician and unregistered assistant creating an environment that encourages professional growth and occupational advancement.
Program Expectations and Student Evaluation
Before a student graduates from the program, s/he must satisfy minimum competencies in both clinical and didactic education and posess the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform their job at a level expected of a licensed professional.
The minimum requirements to insure competency are set forth in a document known as the Essential Tasks for Veterinary Technicians
compiled by the A.V.M.A.--C.V.T.E.A. This document is the basis for the structure of the two year curriculum and it is required that the student fulfill the requirements through classroom and laboratory instruction and clinical experience in order to successfully complete the training program.
The minimum parameters to assure competency in didactic instruction are established by the requirement that each student must pass all VT Core Courses and Required Sciences Courses with a grade of "C" or better and maintain an overall 2.0 grade point average in their college level coursework.
Clinical competency is assured by a series of evaluations by clinical internship supervisors and evaluation by the faculty of the studentâs performance in the Veterinary Technology Laboratory.
top of page