What is a 30-Minute Counseling Appointment?
- The development of your Student Education Plan (SEP)
- Academic, progress and disqualification holds
- Transfer Admission Guarantees (TAGs) contracts
- Financial Aid and Veterans Educational Plans
- Choosing a major and career planning
- Course substitutions
- Filing petitions for degrees or certificates
- Transcript evaluation
How to Prepare for a 30-Minute Counseling Appointment
- BE ON TIME!
- Bring transcripts from other colleges, test scores, your education plan, and any other records that are relevant to the issues you want to discuss.
- Make a list of questions you want to ask.
- Do as much legwork ahead of time so you can make the most out of your time with the counselor.
Any documents (transcripts, forms, etc.) faxed to the Counseling Division are used by the counselors and then shredded.
They are not
kept on file at the division office.
To Make a 30-Minute Counseling Appointment
Same-day appointments are now available! For best results, we recommend checking the online appointment system early in the morning and to check daily to see if any appointments have opened up.
If a student misses two appointments in one quarter he/she will be prevented from making further appointments for the rest of the quarter.
If a student can not keep an appointment, it is imperative to either call (650-949-7423) to cancel or go online to cancel the appointment at least 24 hours in advance (see below for instructions).
Telephone Counseling Appointments
If you are a distance learner or simply can’t make it to campus for a counseling appointment, you can schedule a telephone appointment. When you log into the online appointment system, just select the option, “A Telephone Appointment” in the Reason Code window. It will be the student’s responsibility to call the counselor at the appointed time. Here is a list of the Counselor’s contact information: http://www.foothill.edu/counseling/counselors.php.
Two days prior to your appointment, you will receive a phone and email reminder and it will confusingly tell you to meet at the counseling office, 8302, but disregard that.
Although our online appointment system has wonderful features and is convenient, it is rigid and it is not 'smart' enough to distinguish between an in-person and telephone appointment.
Canceling a Counseling Appointment
If you need to cancel your appointment, please do so at least 24 hours
in advance. There are two ways to cancel:
Log into the Main Campus Online Appointment System
Middlefield Campus Online Appointment System.
- Click on View or Cancel Appointments button
- Click on Cancel button on the left
- Select a reason for canceling
- Click on Continue button to cancel the appointment
Call the Counseling Office at (650) 949-7423.
You will find many answers to your questions within the Foothill website or when you click on ASK Foothill,
found on our home page or at https://foothill.intelliresponse.com/students/.
If you can't make it to campus to see a counselor, the online advising forum
may be a great alternative for you. You can post your questions online and a counselor will respond within 48 hours (except weekends). We have three forums
for you to post your quick questions about:
- General Academic Advising
- Degree Certificates and Programs