Which browser versions work best?
Which browsers are NOT supported?
Etudes does NOT support any version of Safari,
Netscape, Camino and Opera.
Why do I need to configure the browser cache?
Web browsers use caches to store previous responses from web servers, such as web pages. Web caches reduce the amount of information that needs to be transmitted over the web. Information previously stored in the cache can often be re-used, which helps pages load faster.
Typically browsers set large cache sizes (for example 50 megabytes), but when working with Etudes we need to reduce this size to prevent the browser from showing a previously stored Etudes webpage when in reality there is a newer web page version available. This helps because 99% of Etudes problems are due to incorrect "cache" browser settings.
Okay, so how do I configure the cache settings for Firefox?
· Step 1 – (PC, left image) Click the Tools Menu and select Options
· Step 1 – (Mac, right image) Click the Firefox Menu and select Preferences
· Step 2 - Click the Advanced icon, then the Network tab
· Step 3 - Enter 1 MB inside the “Use up to X MB of space fro the cache” section and click on the Clear Now button.
· Step 4 - Click on the OK button at bottom of window.
· Step 5 - Open a browser window, delete the address in the URL bar and type about:config. Press the Return key to see Firefox settings. NOTICE: Click “I’ll be careful, I promise” if shown a warning box.
· Step 6 – In the Filter: box type browser.cache.check_doc_frequency It should be set to 1.
· Step 7 - If it's not set to 1, double click on the text and in the resulting dialogue box, enter 1 and click OK.
· Step 8 - Close window, exit and restart Firefox to enact the change.
Where do I go now?
Open Etudes at - https://myetudes.org/portal
Should I upgrade when my browser asks me to update?
In general, it is best to wait a bit (3 - 6 months) before updating your browser to the latest version.
What if I’m using a Satellite connection?
Satellite ISP's are NOT recommended! Users who are using Directway or Hughes Satellite ISP's might encounter technology problems and intermittent issues with Etudes that are beyond our control.
Can I use my AOL browser?
Do NOT use AOL's browser.
Can I have more than one Etudes browser window open at the same time?
No! Use of Multiple Browser Windows is a no-no! Do NOT open more than one Etudes browser window while being logged into the system. It is easy to log yourself out of one and get logged out of the others, losing what you were working on - assignments, tests, etc. You will be prompted to log back in!