Degree, Transfer and Certificate Programs
The study of Japanese is an excellent choice for students in the Bay Area since a considerable amount of business and trade occurs with Japan by California industries. The electronics industry is especially interested in employing persons who speak Japanese and are familiar with Japanese customs. It is an excellent major or minor for those who plan graduate work in business, electronics or law.
Program Learning Outcomes
• The student will be able to communicate with native speakers of Japanese, using the appropriate language, styles, sensitivity and level of respectfulness in various situations.
• The student will demonstrate knowledge of Japanese society, culture and history, and will be able to analyze and discuss cultural differences and similarities.
Units required for Major: 40
Associate Degree Requirements:
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, ESLL 26 or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 57, 105, 108 or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• Completion of one of the following general education patterns: Foothill General Education, CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
• Core courses (30 units)
• Support courses (10 units)
*Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a GPA of 2.0 or higher is required in all core and support courses for the degree.
AA = Associate in Arts Degree.
Core Courses: (30 units)
JAPN 1 Elementary Japanese I (5 units)
JAPN 2 Elementary Japanese II (5 units)
JAPN 3 Elementary Japanese III (5 units)
JAPN 4 Intermediate Japanese I (5 units)
JAPN 5 Intermediate Japanese II (5 units)
JAPN 6 Intermediate Japanese III (5 units)
Note: For students who can demonstrate proficiency equivalent to 1 year of college Japanese, JAPN 1, 2 and 3 may be waived. However, if you are waived out of JAPN 1-2-3 (15 units), you must take at least 15 units from the support courses below to satisfy the 30 unit core requirement.
Support Courses: (10 units)
JAPN 13A Intermediate Conversation I (4 units)Academic Year: 2015-2016Current status: ApprovedLast update: 2015-04-02 09:43:42
JAPN 13B Intermediate Conversation II (4 units)
JAPN 14A Advanced Conversation I (4 units)
JAPN 14B Advanced Conversation II (4 units)
JAPN 33 Introduction to Japanese Culture (4 units)
JAPN 53 Modern Japanese Society, Culture & Business Customs (3 units)
JAPN 63 Japanese Business Culture & Etiquette (1 unit)
JAPN 192 Community Service Learning for Japanese (1 unit)
NOTE: If you are waived of JAPN 1-2-3 (15 units), you must take at least 15 units from the support courses to satisfy the 30 unit core requirement.
View another Program.