You should take an English Placement Test if...
- You plan to enroll in any English course and you don’t meet the exceptions outlined below.
- You plan to enroll in a course with an English prerequisite.
- You plan to enroll in CNSL 50.
You do NOT need an English Placement Test if...
- You have a college degree from an accredited U.S. college or university
- You are eligible for English 1A (freshman level English) or higher
- You have taken AP English - Language & Composition in High School and have an AP score of 3 or higher within several years.
- You have taken AP English - Literature & Composition in High School and have an AP score of 3 or higher within several years.
You will not need to take an English Placement test until you plan to start your English course work.
To be cleared for a prerequisite (for any of the above reasons), please complete a prerequisite clearance form and submit the form to Admissions & Records.
Before scheduling an appointment:
English Assessment & Course Placement Guide
English Sequence & Cut Scores
Expiration of Assessment Results
Assessment results are valid for one (1) year for the date that the score was earned.
After taking a placement test at Foothill College, students may retake the English, ESL, and/or Math placement tests one (1) time at Foothill College within a six (6) month period of the initial date of a placement; however, students cannot retest in a subject if they have earned a transcriptable grad (passing, or D, F, W, NP or I) in the subject/course sequence in which they are seeking a new placement.
Challenges to placements should be directed to the appropriate Division Office.
English & ESL: Dean of Language Arts Paul Starer
Foothill College Placement Testing Retest Policy - Updated July 1, 2015
Top of page