PDF option temporarily offline
Physical Education (2012-2013)
Physical Education is a multi-disciplinary educational experience. These choices include the traditional concentrations in teaching and contemporary choices of fitness, dance or athletic emphasis. Students interested in physical education, dance and athletics are candidates for this program.
Program Learning Outcomes
• The student will complete this program with the ability to communicate the components of a Physical Education program to their professional staff
• The student will demonstrate the necessary knowledge, skills, and values of a multi-disciplinary program, which satisfy core requirements for many physical education transfer majors including the traditional concentrations in teaching and contemporary choices of fitness, dance and athletic emphasis.
Units required for Major: 90
Associate Degree Requirements:
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, ESLL 26 or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 57, 105, 108 or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• All Foothill General Education requirements (30 Units)
• Core courses (34 Units)
*Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a GPA of 2.0 or higher is required in all core and support courses for the degree.
AA = Associate in Arts Degree.
NOTE: Students should review the catalog of the transfer institution of their choice regarding lower division requirements.
Core Courses: (34 units)
PHED 1 Introduction to Physical Education as a Profession (4 units)
PHED 3 Theories & Techniques of Coaching Sports (4 units)
or DANC 10 Topics in Dance History (4 units)
PHED 16B Emergency Athletic Injury Care (3 units)
BIOL 10 General Biology: Basic Principles (5 units)
or BIOL 14 Human Biology (5 units)
PHED 2 Sport in Society (4 units)
PHED 4 Concepts of Physical Fitness & Wellness (4 units)
PHED 8 Theory & Concepts of Exercise Physiology (4 units)
And 6 Units of any Physical Education (PHED) activity courses or Dance (DANC) courses.
Support Courses: (Recommended units)
DANC 10 Topics in Dance History (4 units)Academic Year: 2012-2013Current status: ApprovedLast update: 2012-04-25 12:09:40
PHED 6 Performance Enhancing Substances in Sport & Exercise (4 units)
PHED 9 Basic Nutrition for Sports & Fitness (4 units)
PHED 15 First Aid & CPR/AED (2 units)
PHED 16A Prevention of Athletic Injuries (3 units)
PHED 16C Treatment & Rehabilitation of Athletic Injuries (3 units)
BIOL 40A Human Anatomy & Physiology I (5 units)
BIOL 40B Human Anatomy & Physiology II (5 units)
BIOL 40C Human Anatomy & Physiology III (5 units)
CHEM 25 Fundamentals of Chemistry (5 units)
or CHEM 30A Survey of Inorganic & Organic Chemistry (5 units)
PSYC 1 General Psychology (5 units)
View another Program.