Foothill College has an exciting new program where you can gain experience teaching math or science at the elementary, middle school or high school level while earning credit and getting paid! Students enrolled in PSE 41, 42 and 43 will be paired with exceptional, experienced mentor teachers at the K-12 level of their choice. As a student of PSE 41, 42 or 43 you will observe in the classroom setting, teach small groups of students, participate in relevant discussions pertaining to education, and learn how to become a credentialed K-12 teacher in the state of California. This experience can help you to decide if a career in teaching is right for you.
- PSE 41 must be taken before PSE 42 or 43
- Class meets once a week on the Foothill College campus for 80 minutes of discussion.
- Enrolled students must provide their own transportation to local K-12 schools.
- The hours spent at the K-12 schools are flexible, but must average 2 hours per week for 9 weeks (18 hours total).
- The course is pass/no pass for 2 credit units.
- Must have passed intermediate algebra and a college-level chemistry, biology or physics course.
- Must participate in an interview session and be selected for the program.
- Must show proof of a negative TB test within the past four years.
- Must be willing to undergo a background investigations before visiting the K-12 schools.
The interview will take place at the first class meeting (10AM on Tuesday, April 6th, 2010). Please see the online schedule for the room number. This interview is mandatory for any student registered for the PSE classes. You must come prepared to the interview with official transcripts and proof of a negative TB test within the last four years. This test is offered free of charge on campus. Contact Amanda Norick (contact info below) for details regarding the TB test.
ENGL 100 or ESL 25
Students interested in enrolling in the course may contact Amanda Norick for any additional information.