Many courses require the student to have completed prerequisites to enroll. These prerequisites are listed under each course description in the catalog and the Schedule of Classes.
The college has the authority to drop you from any course if you have not met the necessary prerequisites.
Ways to Clear a Prerequisite:
- Proof of coursework taken at another U.S. college/institution:
- Requires submission of an unofficial transcript with a grade of C or better AND a course description from the school catalog at the time you took the class. (cut and paste course descriptions into a Word document will not be accepted.). All unofficial transcripts must have a school name and a student's full name.
- AP Test score of 3 or higher (see college catalog for approved list of AP exams):
- Attach a copy of AP test score.
- Assessment/Placement Exam score (Math, English, ESLL, Chemistry).
- Proof of coursework taken at a college outside the U.S.:
- Requires a Foothill counselor or departmental approval
- Must include an evaluated foreign transcript with course descriptions.
- Other/Challenge: If you do not meet any of the above, a prerequisite clearance requires dean approval.
- Download Release of Hold Agreement Form.
- Fill out the form completely and attach the required documentation stated on the form.
- Fax, mail, e-mail or drop off the completed form and the required documentation to the Admissions and Records Office.
Once we have received the form, it will be processed in the order they are received and please allow at least 5 working days for it to be processed before attempting to register.
Please Note: You will only be notified by e-mail if your clearance petition has been denied.
To Submit Form and Required Documents:
FAX: (650) 949-7048
Mail or Drop Off:
Admissions & Records, Bldg. 8101
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, CA 94022