|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Students will demonstrate improvement in fundamental basketball skills.
- Students will demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of game rules.
|Description - |
|An introduction to the fundamental skills and techniques of the sport of basketball through skill work and drills. Includes sprint drills, ball passing, plyometric and stretching exercises.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- develop proficiencies in the basic skills and technical aspects of the game basketball.
- examine the rules of basketball play.
- recognize the historical development of basketball in the United States.
- apply individual and team skills.
- formulate and practice offensive and defensive team strategies.
- enhance fitness levels and eye-hand coordination.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Fundamental skills
- Regulations and rules
- half-court and full-court boundaries
- collegiate vs. pro competition
- Application of team drills
- breakdown plays
- two-on-one plays
- three-on-three plays
- four-on-four plays
- offensive alignment
- defensive alignment
- double teaming
- setting a pick
- Development of fitness levels and eye-hand coordination
- sprint drills
- stretching exercises
- ball passing drills
- plyometric exercises
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Physical skills and techniques will be assessed by direct instructor observation.
- Final written exam
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Current NCAA rulebooks (men's and women's) |
|Disciplines - |
|Physical Education |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Discussion, Cooperative learning exercises, Laboratory, Demonstration |
|Lab Content - |
- Fundamental Skills
- Rules of the Game
- Team Drills
- Game Strategies
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Recommendations to participate in local leagues and tournaments and optional reading and writing assignments as determined by instructor |