|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Perform the intermediate and advanced exercises of Ballet Technique, demonstrating correct body placement and positions while exhibiting flexibility, coordination and core strength.
- Identify intermediate and advanced ballet steps and combinations with correct terminology and analyze musical accompaniment and phrasing.
|Description - |
|Continuation into the intermediate fundamentals of ballet technique and training. Includes the intermediate vocabulary and practice of barre and center floor exercises.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- perform the exercises of intermediate ballet technique including barre warm-up and center floor combinations.
- define the traditional vocabulary of steps in the intermediate ballet class syllabus.
- explain the progression and purpose of the specific order of intermediate classroom exercises.
- analyze the historical development of ballet dancing.
- increase body awareness and confidence.
- apply the concepts of proper alignment and placement in all activities.
- recognize ballet as both a physical discipline and an artistic expression
- appreciate classical music as an integral part of the ballet class.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Dance studio, comfortable exercise clothing and proper ballet shoes. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Barre exercises
- rond de jambe a terre
- grand rond de jambe a l'aire
- developpe ballotte
- petit battement
- grand battement balancoire
- grand foette releve en tournant
- Center floor exercises
- temps lie
- pas de basque
- pirouette en dehors
- pirouette en dedans
- pirouette in arabesque
- grandes pirouettes
- petit allegro
- temps leve
- sissonne tombe
- entrechat trois
- grande allegro
- grand jete
- pas de chat
- tour jete
- Historical analysis of ballet dancing
- sources and influences of historical periods on ballet styles
- transition from highly specialized training to a universal form of exercise
- Body awareness
- Artistic references
- reference to contemporary dance companies and performances
- sources and styles of musical accompaniment for ballet class
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Evaluation of performance skills through the intermediate level
- Objective exams
- Cooperative learning assignments
- Term paper
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Ryan, Walter J. Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet. 2011 |
|Disciplines - |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture presentations and classroom discussion using the language of intermediate classical ballet, Cooperative learning exercises, Laboratory, Demonstration. |
|Lab Content - |
- Demonstration and practice of intermediate ballet barre exercises
- Demonstration and practice of intermediate ballet center floor exercises
- Demonstration and practice of proper body awareness and alignment
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Written critique of a live dance performance, optional writing exercises based on recommended reading. |