|1. Description - |
|Resistance exercises combined with an aerobic activity. Students must provide their own fitness mat.|
|Prerequisite: PHED 47CS.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Define and explain components of health related fitness and design an aerobic training program for improvement of cardiovascular health.
- Identify, measure and evaluate personal fitness level and progress toward optimal fitness.
- Demonstrate correct biomechanics related to dance, strength and flexibility exercises.
- Recognize basic physiological and psychological benefits of a regular aerobic training program.
- Explain the basic purpose of progression in exercise program and every exercise session.
- Describe the benefits of an aerobic dance program as a life long activity.
- Understand the principles of core training and the overall benefits of core control.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Fitness mat, classroom for chalk-talk and video reviews. |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Fitness Components
- Muscular strength, endurance, flexibility; cardiovascular endurance; body composition.
- Cardiovascular principles: activity, frequency, intensity, duration.
- Pre and Post test
- 1-mile run and perceived exertion
- sit-ups and push-up test
- flexibility: (reclined hamstring stretch), (dog and hand-lock) and (cobra)
- Instructor provides explanation and demonstration of basic dance moves
- instructor allows for repetition of dance moves without music and with music before increasing speed of movement or complexity of moves (choreography)
- instructor provides modifications and variations as needed for safety and challenge
- Benefits of aerobic exercise combined with strength
- physiological development ‚Äì heart health and promote muscle growth
- psychological ‚Äì self knowledge, self awareness, improved confidence
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Written and/or oral evaluation will be made by instructor regarding students knowledge related to:
- Benefits or aerobic training; types of aerobic activity; safety and injury prevention techniques (warm-up/cool-down); fitness components and prescription of aerobic exercise program.
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|Handouts will be provided. |
|8. Disciplines - |
|Human Performance |
|9. Method of Instruction - No content|
|10. Lab Content - |
|This is a PE activity course. All lab content is covered under course content. |
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - No content|
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course meets the Foothill GE Requirements for Area VII, Lifelong Learning. |