A PROGRAM WITH A PURPOSE
Innovation • Achievement • Success
Dean of Foothill Global Access
Distance & Mediated Learning
Office: (650) 949-7388
Tech Training Specialist
Foothill Global Access
Office: (650) 949-7566
Foothill Global Access
Office: (650) 949-7446
Middlefield Campus Supervisor
Office: (650) 949-6953
Fax: (650) 949-6979
Vice President of Student Services
Office: (650) 949-7524
The Professional Development program at Foothill is a top college priority.
We are facing so many new challenges with technology, accreditation,
Generation Z students, returning veterans and more, that we believe it
is important to provide new "tools" and resources to support faculty and
staff to effectively support student learning. The Professional Development
program includes funds for conference travel and participation, a robust
calendar of workshops and events, and numerous online training opportunities-
all designed to support the continuous development of knowledge and skills
for the Foothill campus community. Our programs are open to all FHDA
Want to schedule or request a Professional Development event?
Please use our new Form to let us know about any professional development opportunities that you want us to schedule and promote.
Faculty Professional Development Day
Friday, May 10th
at Hearthside Lounge
(across from Bookstore)
Instructional Jiu-Jitsu: Leveraging MOOCs Face to Face
9:30 - 10:45 am
Patrick Morris and Rick Martinez will lead this workshop about how to "flip" your classroom by introducing high-quality content outside of class and repurposing class time for higher level active learning
Designing College Courses that Foster Significant Learning
10:45 am - 12 noon
Ben Stefonik will lead this workshop on learning the taxonomy of "significant learning" and how course design can be leveraged to create significant learning experiences in college classes.
Share Your Favorite Teaching Technique
Noon - 1:30 pm
We know you do awesome things in the classroom and online, and we'd love to hear about them! Bring one activity, teaching technique, or tip that works for you to share with your colleagues. We encourage you to bring materials to share (activity instructions, etc.). Free lunch for those who are registered.
- Hands-On Eportfolio Workshop on Friday, April 19
- Foothill College: Etudes Meet and Greet! on Fridays, April 19; May 17; June 21
- CCC Course Outline Workshop Series on Monday, April 22; Wednesday, May 1; Friday, May 17
- Make Your Course Content Accessible on Thursday, April 25
- Copyright and Fair Use on Wednesday, May 1
- Student Success Brown Bag Series: An Opportune Time for an Identity Crisis? on Wednesday, May 8
- PERS Retirement Workshop on Tuesday, May 14
- Refresher: What's New? Etudes and You on Wednesday, May 22
- Etudes Certification Training for Faculty Fridays, May 17, 24, and 31
- Honoring Student Privacy and FERPA in Social Media on Friday, May 14
Via the Internet
iStream from League for Innovation in the Community College
- Conference Presentations – keynote and special session videos, PowerPoint presentations from the League's international conferences
- Professional Development Modules – programs that provide faculty and staff comprehensive teaching
and learning practices with online and hybrid materials, real- and any-time progressive learning
activities, and assessment strategies (From LENs and Getting Results)
- Webinars – front-row, free seating to practical, thought-provoking workshops and webinars that are
relevant to community colleges today
- eLearning Courses – open access, or discounted options, focused on Open Educational Resource courses
and programs, featuring an array of workforce and specialty online learning programs
- Publications – unlimited 24/7 access to full-length electronic versions of books, monographs, and
reports published by the League – available to everyone at your institution
- Partners Spotlight – the latest product developments, features, and services from state-of-the-latest
companies that serve the community college and higher education field
- League Projects –ground-breaking contributions from League board and member colleges covering
innovative programs, critical issues, and the developing needs in community colleges
- 10 Questions – promotes professional, candid, and intriguing responses from leaders in a variety of
roles. Faculty and staff in leadership positions will gain valuable insight into how successful leaders
- Create Your Own Account and Log In Today!
- Go to http://www.league.org/istream
- Click on Create Your iStream Account button
- Select your institution from the dropdown box
- Enter your first and last name, and institutional email address
- Click on Submit
- You will receive a confirmation email with further instructions for logging in and creating your password.
- Sign up to receive iStream Updates, the monthly email highlighting special features and announcing new items exclusively available through iStream. Click on subscribe.
Available on-demand for Foothill College employees. Please contact Akemi Ishikawa for access information.
- At-Risk Populations
- Campus Safety
- Organizational Development
- Student Success
- Teaching and Learning
On-going, Year-round Professional Development
- Plan and Attend Heritage Month Meetings and Events
EMPLOYEES are needed on STUDENT-LED Heritage Month Planning Committees to plan a whole month of events!
- Cultural celebrations occur at Foothill from January through June.
- January is Jewish Heritage Month
- February is Black History Month
- March is Women's History Month
- April is Asian Pacific Islander Month
- May is Latino Heritage Month
- June is LGBT Month!
- Heritage Month Planning
- Committees meet weekly for an average of 6 months to year-round. Faculty/staff can earn PAA/PGA credit for planning and attending the Heritage Month events. To get involved, please contact Erin Ortiz (x7060).
- Become a Club Advisor
Club Advisors are required for a Club to exist. Club Advisors sign up committing to be present at official club meetgins, events and to sign on the account. Most Clubs meet weekly, not during Summer. Foothill typically has 50 per quarter that include Academic, Athletic, Departmental, Political, Recreational, Religious, Social and Special Interest. To get involved, please contact Erin Ortiz (x7060).
Faculty and Staff Mentor Exchange
We now have an easy way for faculty and staff to share their expertise. This is an online learning community where you can get help from peers, 24/7, for free.
Join the Foothill College Faculty and Staff Mentor Exchange
- Go our Mentor Exchange.
- Click Register now and complete the form. Be sure to write down the password you created!
- You will receive an email that your Mentor Exchange site membership has been approved within 24 hours
- Return to the Mentor Exchange site and Log In
- For peer guidance, post a question to the group and in return, respond to questions posted by others.