CNSL 5 - INTRODUCTION TO COLLEGE (1 Unit)
Orientation to Foothill College academic policies, resources, programs and services; introduction to California systems of higher education; formulation of educational plan.
Additional Educational Counseling Information
Foothill's educational counseling program is offered within the Counseling Division, which employs a centralized organizational structure for the delivery of academic, career, and personal counseling. The program's purpose is to assist students in the development of meaningful educational plans which advance their progress toward the Associate of Arts degree and/or their successful transfer to baccalaureate programs at campuses within either the University of California or the California State University systems. The Transfer Center and the Counseling staff also assist students in identifying and understanding the transfer requirements at private colleges and universities. Additionally, academic advising services assist individuals in need of developmental educational opportunities as well as those who need to retool or retrain. Within this context counselors assist students in developing educational plans which are compatible with a diverse set of career and life goals.
General and individual advising conferences are made available to students each academic quarter. General advisement and campus orientation services are offered through the course, Counseling 5
, which offers a general orientation to Foothill College and includes the completion of individual educational plans. All Foothill students who wish to begin their programs of study to complete their chosen major, transfer, or certificate programs must complete an educational plan their first quarter of studies at Foothill. Further, those new students who take Counseling 5 will receive priority registration status for the following quarter, thereby improving their chances of taking class sections at preferred hours and on preferred days. Students in need of modifying individual educational plans should schedule appointments with Foothill counselors in order to refine goals and objectives, understand available alternatives, and evaluate alternative courses of action. Counselors review and utilize all available data, including on-line data available through the Student Information system (SIS+), transcripts from other institutions the student has attended as well as the students' self-reports.
Counselors assist Foothill students in realizing their educational goals and objectives through the following activities:
- Development of suitable educational plans for all new students.
- Selection of appropriate courses and other educational experiences.
- Interpretation of Foothill's institutional requirements for its various A.A./A.S and certificate programs as well as interpretation of the various UC and CSU campus graduation and major requirements for students who intend to transfer to either university system. Advisement for the latter group involves identification of and enrollment in transferable courses that satisfy college/school and university requirements and fulfill the prerequisites of intended majors.
- Identification of available educational resources which exist to assist students in successful matriculation.
- Evaluation of student progress toward established educational/personal/career goals and objectives.
- Development of decision-making skills.
- Reinforcement of student self-direction.
- Clarification of life and career goals and referral to Career Center & Transfer Centers where appropriate.
Top of page