Cherry Blossoms

Prospective Students

Transferring from a U.S. School to Foothill College

You are considered a transfer student if any of these situations apply to you:

  • You hold an I-20 from a language school, high school, college, or university in the United States, and you are completing (or have recently completed) your studies at that school.
  • You are completing OPT (you are still considered an F-1 student at your previous school by immigration while you are on OPT)

Follow these steps to successfully transfer to Foothill College:

  1. Complete the International Student Application. After you are admitted, you will receive an Acceptance Letter.
  2. Request your current school to transfer you to Foothill College (Foothill cannot request the transfer). We recommend you submit your acceptance letter along with your transfer request.
  3. Your current school will transfer your I-20 electronically to Foothill, setting a "release date" (the last date that the school can withdraw the transfer) in the SEVIS system.
    • Foothill cannot issue you an I-20 until after your release date.
    • On OPT? The release date is the last day you can work.
  4. NOTE: An I-20 will not be issued at this time. If you plan to travel outside the U.S. before your classes begin at Foothill College, contact us at and let us know the date you plan to travel. We will then send your new I-20 to your home country.
    • Complete the I-20 request process (required to issue you a new I-20).  Students traveling outside the USA must submit a $75 shipping fee to send their I-20 overseas.
  5. After you arrive at Foothill College and have registered for classes, a new "Transfer Completed" I-20 will be issued within 30 days of enrollment. We will send you an email to pick up your I-20 in the International Office.



ph default text

We're Here to Help!

International Student Programs Office


Administration Building 1900 Room 1933

Connect with us on social media!

Facebook logoInstagram LogoYouTube Logo