PRE-STEM Summer Institute
July 17 - August 4, 2023
Mondays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Fridays, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
IN-PERSON at Foothill College
Program Application is Now Closed!
The PRE-STEM Summer Institute is a free three week program for incoming Foothill College students looking to earn a STEM degree who also qualify for the MESA program. Through the summer institute, you will:
- Gain exposure to and skills in data science as a tool for social impact.
- Build confidence in math in preparation for precalculus in the fall.
- Collaborate with others on social impact project simulations.
- Connect with other students who are interested in STEM fields and entering Foothill in the fall.
- Get ready and support for starting Foothill College in the fall.
This is a FREE program and we will be looking to provide transportation for individuals who need that service.
How do I apply?
- Foothill College application: You have to be a new incoming Foothill College student, so you should first have filled out the Foothill College application for the fall.
- MESA Program Form: The summer institute is a precursor to MESA@Foothill, a school year program at Foothill focused on preparation and persistence in STEM disciplines. (Program Application is now closed.)
If you have questions, please contact SLI@foothill.edu.
How do I know if the program is for me?
Consider the following to decide if MESA Summer Institute is right for you!
- Are you starting Foothill College in the fall as a STEM major and looking for a community of support?
- Are you a graduating high school student or equivalency earner interested in science, technology, computer science, math, or engineering (STEM) but haven’t had the opportunity to explore?
- Are you worried about being prepared for college and want to get a head start with math and study skills? If yes, this program is for you!
- No prior experience and skills necessary.
- Course materials will be provided, including laptops and Wi-Fi hotspots on loan.
- Will you be taking classes in-person at Foothill in the fall?
- Do you meet the eligibility requirements for MESA?
Note: If you have already taken computer science courses, taken AP calculus, or participated in STEM programs extensively, this program may not be a good fit for you.
What will the summer institute look like?
This is a fully in-person program.
- Mondays through Thursdays - 10am - 4pm
- Fridays - 10am - 12:30pm
- 45 minute lunch break - lunch provided Mondays through Thursdays
Other aspects of the program to expect:
- Working in groups and getting to know the other participants in the program
- Connection with the facilitators and current Foothill students serving as peer mentors
- Guest speakers, teambuilding
What will I gain from this program?
This program will be in-person at Foothill.
The morning session will be spent gaining data science skills and working on a social impact group project with the support of Foothill College student mentors.
The afternoon will be a combination of a math skills workshop, college readiness workshops, and group work from the morning session.
Participation in this program requires attendance to the whole day session.
Students who complete the program will receive a certificate of participation.
How can I find out more?
Attend an upcoming information session on Zoom:
- Thursday, June 1, 2023 from 3 - 4pm
- RSVP for the Zoom link
Fill out the MESA Interest Form. A counselor will follow up with you to determine your eligibility. At that time, you will get more information about the summer institute.
Connection to MESA
The MESA Summer Institute is a program component of MESA@Foothill. All MESA students are invited and encouraged to join the MESA Summer Institute to get ready to start Foothill in the fall.