Science Learning Institute
Internships are an important part of a STEM student's experience.
- You gain valuable work experience.
- You get a better idea of your own academic and professional goals.
- You network with others in the field.
Find out more about Foothill College's tips and resources related to internships at our Internships page.
Resources for NASA Internships
We know there are those of you especially interested in internships at NASA! We are hoping to build more resources to support you in that effort.
Past Info Session Resources
We had an informational info session with Gabrielle Thompson, former Foothill student, who is currently interning at NASA-Ames and had an outside-the-box path. She shares websites and tips for getting an internship at NASA
Websites for NASA Internships
Check out the following websites for more on NASA internships. Gabrielle shares more details in the recording linked above.
These are also websites for open source data and resources that are NASA-affiliated:
Resources for Other STEM Internships
SLAC Community College Internships
The Stanford National Linear Accelerator (SLAC) has summer internships for community college students to get involved in cutting edge research in physics, computer science, engineering, and more. SLI hosted an information session in partnership with Hillary Freeman (STEM Education Program Manager at SLAC) to help promote SLAC internships and provide more information about the application process. See resources below:
Tips and Strategies
First, SLI is keeping a running spreadsheet of scholarship and internship opportunities and deadlines by month. This is a dynamic sheet, so bookmark it in your browser and come back from time to time.
Also, a good start for finding STEM internships is to do an internet search with the following key terms:
- "STEM internships for community college students"
- "undergraduate student internships in STEM"
- "summer internships for college students"
- Handshake - go to MyPortal to activate your Handshake account. You will find listings of jobs and internships, tailored to Foothill College students.
- LinkedIn - set up your profile, connect to your instructors, classmates, and others you know.
- Career websites like Geeky Girl Reality (for women in STEM) and Internships.com
Here are some articles that provide valuable tips for finding internships:
- The Online Internship Playbook for College Students (from OnlineColleges.me)
- Finding and Internship: Guide and Worksheet (from Southern Illinois University College of Mass Communication and Media Arts website)
- Your Guide to Internships from Best Colleges
- College Student Internships & Employment from Accredited Schools Online
- Your Guide to Computer Science Internships from University of the People
- Best Computer Science Internships for College Students from Career Karma
- Guide to Internships for Students from study.com
- Internships in Tech: A Complete Guide from TechGuide.org
Tips for Preparing for Internship Interviews
Here are some links to sites to help you prepare for internship interviews.
- Sample Internship Interview Questions by the balance careers
- 13 Questions to Ask in an Internship Interview by Chegg
- Top Internship Interviewing Tips by the balance careers
- What to Expect During an Internship Interview by indeed.com
- 30+ Questions to Ask in a Job Interview by indeed.com
- Top Interview Tips: Common Questions, Body Language, & More by Indeed (YouTube video)
Here are some well-known internship programs across the country that are competitive and are amazing opportunities for community college students:
|Name of opportunity
|NIH Summer Internship Program
|Base 11 Summer Fellowship Opportunities
|Research Internships for Community College Students at Stanford
|varied for different opportunities
|STEM Undergraduate Internship Opportunities (extensive listing)
|varied for different opportunities
|Research Experiences for Undergraduates through National Science Foundation (listing by STEM discipline)
varied for different opportunities
For an ongoing listing of opportunities, kept up to date by the SLI team, bookmark this Google Sheet.
SLI in the News
I'm Here to Help!
Sophia Kim, SLI Director
Bldg 4400, Office 4408