student sitting at computer

Financial Aid FAQs

Work-Study FAQs

Q. Do I have to work if I am offered a Work-Study job as part of my Financial Aid package?

No, you can turn down the offer. The dollar amount offered is the maximum that you would be eligible to earn in a Federal Work-Study position for the academic year, if you decided to accept the offer and were hired in a Federal Work-Study job.

Q. What do I need to do in order to get Federal Work-Study?

You need to select "I'm interested in work-study" when you complete your FAFSA application. You also need to complete your Foothill financial aid documents. You will want to do this well in advance of the academic year because Federal Work-Study is awarded on a first-come, first served basis. We are often out of funds by June of the preceding academic year. Once you receive a Federal Work-Study offer for the academic year, you will need to follow the instructions that accompany that award. That includes meeting with Emily Mandy in Financial Aid to find a job and have your award accepted. Be sure to pay close attention to deadlines for accepting your award.

Q. Are Work-Study earnings taxable?

Yes. The wages you earn from Federal Work-Study are generally reported as wages on your Federal and California income tax return and become part of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). (Those wages are, however, exempt from FICA Social Security taxes.)

Q. Do I include money earned from Federal Work Study on my FAFSA for the following year?

Yes. You include the money earned from a Federal Work-Study job for the calendar year requested on the FAFSA under money "earned from working." To enable the FAFSA processors to exclude money earned from a Federal Work-Study job when calculating your income and award, you will also list your Federal Work-Study earnings on the FAFSA under Step Two: Student's Additional Financial Information.
ph default text

We're Here to Help!

Financial Aid Office


Building 8100, Room 8101

View Financial Aid Office Hours